Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Re-thinking, Re-Designing the Conceptions of the World and My Place in it.

Today truly was one of those amazing, life changing days.

  Today, I was challenged to re-conceptualize my understanding and knowledge of the world and its constructions. For much of my life I have had a basic understanding of the various ways that ancient civilizations have come to be and to pass. Particularly the rise and fall of the Ancient Egyptian Civilization. I have always held these views, taught to me through such things as my public school education as well as movies like "The Mummy" and the cartoon "Moses" and like a lot of people believed this time period to be extremely removed from any modern reality or truth. As my history books taught me, the people looked a certain way and behaved in ways that were far different than our more modern, our more "civilized" society.

  Was I WRONG...in fact while wandering through the vast corridors of the Egyptian Museum today I couldn't help be reflect on all of the things in life that I have been taught that seem to be misleading. Today, I was reminded of the ever lasting human condition that plagues all people every where, in any given time period.  While yes I knew that these Pharoh's shared in many of our fine tastes of luxury and high society, too, they had a thriving culture that seems eerily familiar to our "modern" world.  To have associations and feasts, parties, friends, etc, etc...all things that still matter today.

  What struck me the MOST however, was also recognizing the inconsistencies between what existed today in that museum and the textbooks of my childhood, and that was the obvious negation of various forms of diversity and entire group's intellectual and cultural capacity that seems somehow to be so easily dismissed in contemporary literature. I was fortunate enough to be introduced to the thoughts and theories of Carol Gibbs today who acknowledges the strange absence of black people from our historical conceptions of all places Egypt, and more so, their contributions and thriving societies that they had built for themselves in the "ancient" world. Not only did it have to deal with race, but the interconnectivity that was obviously displayed throughout the museum to the rest of the world.  I never knew the intimate connections that were shared between the roman empire and the Egyptian civilization at the time. To the point where I saw people of roman dissent buried in coffins that were made for Pharaoh's. There seemed to be a shared world, one with riches from every corner of the globe.

 The capacity of this great culture astounded me and forced me to acknowledge the obvious subjugation over time of particular peoples and their way of life. How over time, we have failed to recognize whole heartedly the great achievements of this empire. I realized that what cultures tend to do as a form of power and dominance is to erase history itself. To alter it in such a way that it seems so foreign and dissimilar to anything that we as a people could ever have conceptualized. As the Romans began to dominate the world, the Egyptians slowly tapered off and with their Roman power, these Cesar's, these popes, these politicians altered the truth of history to fit their contemporary belief systems. To uphold their values, while at the same time completely erasing another's. I was reminded of the early mid-evil era when the church deliberately turned pagan Gods into Christian deities in order to slowly coalesce their fellow country men to go along with their plots to dominate and over power the world. Indulgences anyone?

 Well today I learned that the all to arbitrary truth is here in Cairo as well. And I am so thankful to have had my eyes opened even wider to the shameful practices of the world where we adjust the reality of the world to meet our needs and formulate speculation, assumption and stereotypes of a place we've never been, a people we've never met that separate them entirely from who we are.  This can be found even today and is something that must be considered in our path forward as GLOBAL citizens.

  Tonight was an even greater reminder of that as we headed out to the local Shish bar to watch a futbol match between two of Cairo's top teams for the quarter final. We were there with some new local friends and through the power of discussion, the "world's game", and some belly aching laughs I affirmed once more within my heart the greater capacities of human beings to love, to care and to connect on levels that stem far beyond the differences that divide us from time to time.

  And of course, as we were driven home to our hostel, we connected even more through our shared love of music...another language of the world.

   Today I was reminded of what has been done to billions of people around the world in all different ways that negate their holistic experience on this earth.

  Tonight, I was reminded of just how important and beautiful it is to discover, value, understand and appreciate the greater world around us and the people in it. To never take it for granted, and to always seek out the true origins of who a person is, and who a people are.

~ namaste ~

5 comments:

  1. This is by far the most beautiful thing I have ever read!
    It does make me sad when stereotypes are belng acknowledged as if they were true. I personally believe that the main reason war exists is because, most people don't get a chance to explain who they are, where they come from, and last but not least, why they believe in what they do believe in.
    The world has become a mad place where no man thinks of anyone but himself which makes me feel so sad! I won't lie to you Ryan, I used to be a judgmental person and I hated myself back then. But after seeing the worlds true colors and meeting people from all around the world, I realized how stupid I used to be. Everyone has his own right to believe in what he believes in, to purse his dreams, to never submit to what he thinks is wrong and to learn how to always love and cherish how passionate a human being is, regardless of what you as a person think what is right and what is wrong. I learned not to judge because human beings aren't perfect and every person is different in some way. As far as my religion takes me, all I want to say is that I believe in what I believe in and I am proudly a Muslim who accepts people the way they are, not the way I think they should be because, after all my relationship with god is something between him and I, not something I should force others into.
    I have a dream that wars would not exist, and that understanding would take it's place in peoples hearts. As for love, I have always believed that love begins with respect because with respect comes trust and with trust comes loyalty and with loyalty comes honesty and understanding, and then
    comes love. The greatest level of love isn't only when passion exists, but it is when you understand a person and feel
    the connection between both spirits. Ryan, you are one of a kind!
    May God bless you, thanks for sharing this. :)
    love, Lamis from Cairo!

    P.S You so won in the Shisha game! Hahahaha!

    Xxooo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Lamis! Beautiful words Ryan Ubuntu. I love how you connected impressions from the museum and the amazing experience at dinner to make a larger observation about what it means to be human.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading this. Thank you for sharing these moments that I myself may never be able to experience first hand. Well, I should never say never but nonetheless keep writing. I am enjoying every word.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Remember what President Clinton said that every sincere and good thing will always have a place in the world. Keep doing good, Ryan. I learn a lot from you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you are off to a great IPSP start, Ryan. Text books... well they can be pretty misleading huh? And who knows how much more misleading they are about to be given the entire Texas text book fiasco.

    ReplyDelete